
HISTORY OF DUNBAR HIGH
Building Bright Futures
-
The school was Paul Lawrence Dunbar, an eminent and prolific African-American poet and writer.
-
Dunbar was originally built in 1922 and upgraded in 1935.
-
William Wilson was the school’s first principal and served until 1930.
-
In 1930 E.C. Struggs became principal.
-
He expanded Dunbar to a full high school level by 1932 and won support for a new building by 1937.
-
Accreditation by the Southern Association of Secondary Schools followed.
-
In 1958 the 28th and Teak location was was built.
-
In 1964 E. C. Struggs Junior High School opened
-
Dunbar classes were integrated during the 1970-71 school year. William Powell was principal during the 1970-71 academic year.
-
Roy Roberts, who built the school’s outstanding band program, served as principal from 1972-84.
-
Virgil Johnson served as principal from 1984-1993
-
LISD found itself involved in a protracted legal case regarding its integration policies. The case, which began in August 1970, came to an end in September 1991 when the district’s reorganization plan was accepted by a U.S. district judge. One controversial part of the plan required converting Dunbar to a junior high effective with the 1992-93 school year.
-
By judicial order, In 1993 Dunbar High became a junior high school as part of an Lubbock Independent School District reorganization plan.
-
The Dunbar International Alumni Association, Inc. was established on July 15, 1990 to preserve the legacy of Dunbar High.

History of Dunbar High School
The Early History and Dunbar High School till 1993, By Mary Jo Henderson Wilson

United States v. LUBBOCK INDEPENDENT SCH., 455 F. Supp. 1223 (N.D. Tex. 1978)
The Case that led to the closure of Dunbar as a High School

